Results tagged “Movable Type” from Bill Benac

Installing Movable Type

|
One part of Oracle's post-acquisition integration is to retire the subsumed company's blogs. Thus, the blog I used to maintain at BEA Systems before we were bought by Oracle is going away. I've initiated the process of getting an Oracle blog, but ... well, why not take this opportunity to break free? I do care to preserve my blog posts, and if they live exclusively within a company, they're subject to certain upheavals now and again. Also, occasionally I'll want to blog about something that won't fit at Oracle, such as ... my notes on installing Movable Type.

I decided to migrate my old BEA posts to http://blog.billbenac.com, and I chose Movable Type as my blog platform. The process went like this:

  • SSH into web server
  • Login to MYSQL to create my database and user.

      drop database thedb;
      create database thedb;
      GRANT USAGE ON thedb.* TO 'theuser'@'localhost';
      GRANT SELECT,INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE,CREATE, INDEX, ALTER
      ON thedb.*
      TO 'theuser'@'localhost'
      IDENTIFIED BY 'thepassword';
  • Download MT: http://www.movabletype.com/download/personal/MTP-4.12-en.tar.gz
  • Extract as a folder under the root of the desired website such as /mt. This gives me blog.billbenac.com/httpdocs/mt/mt.cgi, among other things. This directory will be used for administration.
  • Browse to MT setup page, in my case http://blog.billbenac.com/mt with a login button that brings me to http://blog.billbenac.com/mt/mt-wizard.cgi
  • Use CPAN to download the necessary Perl modules
  • Fill out the wizard screens. When it asks about the configuration file, mt-config.cgi, click the link to view the generated file (Show the mt-config.cgi file generated by the wizard). Copy the contents, and put it on the server manually. Tell the wizard you did so, and continue.
  • After choosing a blog name, edit the URL and publishing path as appropriate. I made the URL and path different from the default. The URL is http://blog.billbenac.com/blog, and the publishing path ends with blog.billbenac.com/httpdocs/blog/. I created the directory manually on the server and set its permissions with: mkdir blog;chmod 777 blog
  • After logging in, the automatic post didn't display. I republished it, and that was that.
  • But man is it ugly. Login and try in the right actions column to refresh blog templates. Refresh the classics. Don't bother backing up templates. Hit continue. That might not have done anything though...
  • In the web admin section, to to Design-> Styles. Pick one. I grabbed Unity Tricolor from the Default Styles category.
  • Finally, I wanted to configure Live Writer to connect to the site so I could migrate my old BEA Dev2Dev posts. It didn't like my password a few times. It turns out Movable Type uses a different password for the API. Thanks to http://www.alexlomas.com/blog/2006/08/live_writer.html for this advice:

      Log into Movable Type.
      Click on your username in the top navigational menu to go to your profile.
      Scroll down to the bottom where you see API Password.
      Input a password of your choice and save. For security reasons, it should be different from your normal author password.
      Use this new password in live writer.
  • At this point I thought I was in business. But when I tried publishing from Live Writer to my site, I got this error:
  • Statement has no result columns to bind (perhaps you need to successfully call execute first) at {my path}/mt/extlib/Data/ObjectDriver/Driver/DBI.pm line 119.
  • One post suggested it could be a database version problem, and indeed, I was an unsupported MySQL from 2003: 3.23.58. I asked my hosting company to upgrade me, and now I'm on 4.1.15.
  • I publish, and? "Server Error Server Occurred. Statement has no result columns to bind (perhaps you need to successfully call execute first) at {my path}/mt/extlib/Data/ObjectDriver/Driver/DBI.pm line 119.
  • When I log into the web interface of my site though, I see that my posts that failed to publish actually did get created in my MT database, but they hadn't made been published entirely. I was able to open them up and successfully republish.
  • When new users registered to comment, the web site said it was sending them confirmation emails, but these didn't arrive. I had to go to System-> Preferences-> General and set the outgoing email address to resolve the problem.

I prefer Drupal!

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.